Sunday, June 12, 2011

Just What I Needed

Yesterday was the inaugural Carmel Marathon. After serving as the Packet Pickup Committee Chair, I wanted nothing more than to watch the race take place. I wanted to watch it just because it was fun, just to see the participants I had checked in complete the race. However, it became so much more. It became everything I needed to prep me for my race next weekend.

As I stood at the finish line, I noticed all types of runners; I noticed all types of emotions. Some runners crossed with no emotion. Some crossed with a look of pain and disappointment. Others exuded joy, pride, and happiness. One even did a cartwheel. All had done the work prior to race day, yet all had different results and reactions.

For some reason, running, rather racing, does nothing but make me cry. I watched one older, overweight lady finish the half-marathon in 5 1/2 hours. She did it! I think about my goals. I want to reach them and I work hard, but do they matter when I compare it to someone who took 5 1/2 hours to finish a half? That's dedication. There is no way that could have been easy, but she did it. I don't know her, but it makes me proud. I watched a woman who showed up to the Carmel Marathon training program week in and week out finish in just under six hours. Though not the fastest person, she showed up every week with a smile on her face and finished her miles. It paid off. She did it!

Though I had not intended to stay for the entire marathon, I ended up staying until only a couple of people were left on the course. As I walked to my car, I noticed an elderly Indian man who turned down the wrong street. I chased after him and redirected him. It was hot and humid and near 2:00 p.m. by this time. It couldn't be fun at this point. But, the man explained, in a jovial demeanor, that he was the oldest male participant. Even after a wrong turn, he was so happy. Truly happy. I really wanted to walk the rest of the way back with him just to see his emotions when he crossed the finish line. Though I didn't, I heard he was beyond happy and proud. It was even his favorite course! To me, that is beyond amazing and it trivializes my goals and expectations. It makes me realize that it's just a race for me. I don't want to run another marathon, but I could if I wanted to. I'm healthy and it's not out of reach so I'm lucky that I have that choice.

Experiencing the Carmel Marathon as a spectator was just what I needed to prepare myself for Grandma's Marathon emotionally. I am ready. Ready to finish, ready to PR, and ready to celebrate no matter what the outcome. I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment