Sunday, May 22, 2011

One Month Out!

It hit me today that I'm really running a race one month from today. So many weeks of training makes the actual race day almost feel fictional. Running 20 miles yesterday reminded me that it's getting close, but looking at the calendar today really gave me the "Oh, wow!" feeling.

Training hasn't been perfect. Burn out. Illness. Pain. Vacation. All have played a role in the training; there's no doubt. Training could have been a lot worse, though. Now, in the last month, I'm hoping that everything I have put into this since January pays off. Four hours thirty nine minutes is the time to beat. The McMillan calculator says I can make it to 4:33. I really want 4:30. I know that if I can get to 4:33 that I can push out 4:30, but can I make 4:33? The last time I used the McMillan calculator I was 22 minutes slower than what it said. This time, I have a much better base so I'm hoping that makes a difference.

Why does the time matter? I'm not trying to reach something unattainable. It's realistic. Training is painful! I don't want to keep going through the pain year after year. Four marathons is enough for me! However, I want to go out reaching my goal. I don't want to have to give up Friday night because I have to run on Saturday a.m. I don't want to give up Saturday night because I'm too exhausted to do anything. And, I don't want to give up Sunday afternoon anymore because I am too sore to move. It's a lot of commitment for a mediocre runner. I've enjoyed every bit of it, but I want a well-rounded life. Half-marathons, vacations, AND fun with friends.

This is my last marathon. However, I fear that if I don't reach my goal, I'll put myself through it all again even though I enjoy the half-marathons so much more. Why does it matter? I know exactly what I want. However, I don't know that I'll follow my heart if I don't get my goal. So, 4:30 Clif Bar Pace Team, please pull me through in Duluth!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it. No stinkin' thinkin'! No negative thoughts. Meditate on positive thoughts for 26.2 miles.

    ReplyDelete