Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Road Back to Love


I need racing in my life. Go ahead, dangle the carrot. Medals. Expos. Trendy running apparel. Dangle three carrots, I guess. If only I could race without training. There's my #1 bestseller idea.

Since running the Derby miniMarathon last Saturday, I have been on the road back to loving running. Hearing Nappy Roots on my iPod at mile 4 while running in Louisville, KY, hustling through the U of L campus where I attended college, and bustling through one of my favorite places, Churchill Downs, all helped to remind me of that love. However, the hype has continued into this week and this race.

Today, I went to the expo for my last 500 Festival Mini-Marathon. Once inside, I felt at home walking up and down the aisles looking at all the overpriced merchandise. Ahhh, good times! The expo is what reminds me it's go time. It's not the confirmation card nor the training; it's the expo. Coupons I'll never use and visions of future medals hanging up tempt me as I hit each and every booth. Yes, I'm one of those people. It's part of the routine. Each time I show up at an expo, I know I'm ready.

Two weeks. Two races. Soon, two medals. Marathon season has begun and I am in love again.

1 comment: