Sunday, February 20, 2011

Medals, Highs, and Friendships

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I don't actually like running. I like three things that result from running: medals, runner's highs, and new friendships. I'd say I like the health benefits, too, but since I started running, I've gained weight and have spent plenty of money on sports medicine doctors, physical therapy, x-rays, and chiropractors. Yep, definitely scratching that from the list of things I like.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love my finisher's medals. One friend even nicknamed me "Medal Goddess". My finisher's medals are displayed proudly in my house. I show them to anyone who will let me. I never tire explaining which race I ran to get this medal or that medal or why a certain medal is my favorite. My racing medals are the most important items I own. I know that sounds silly knowing that they probably only cost a few dollars and everyone who finishes gets one, but they truly mean the world to me. They prove to me every time I look at them that I accomplished something that I thought could never happen. (And, in the event that my house ever catches on fire, I plan on getting the dog and then the medals on the way out! That's how much these medals mean to me.)

Before I ever earned a medal, the mystifying runner's high is what hooked me. I only planned on doing one half-marathon in my life. After that, my plan was to go back to swimming, spinning, and classes at the gym. Then, it happened. The runner's high took a hold of me and wouldn't let go. Every run longer than seven miles gave me a runner's high that first year. I couldn't wait to get on the road! The second year in my running life, I decided to do a full marathon. Longer miles meant more runner's highs for me. Running was easy. What did I do with that great feeling? I decided to sign up for five more races that year. And, then I learned about the devilish runner's high the hard way. The more my body became used to running, the fewer times I experienced that magnificent high. Today, in my running life, that marvelous high is nothing more than a memory. Though elusive, I continue to chase after it determined to find it again.

The final reason I continue to run is the friendships that are formed on the road. Almost all of my close friends are runners. There is something unexplainable about the bonds that can be formed during training and racing. Simply put, running with someone just makes running more enjoyable. Though running may not always be easy, I couldn't imagine not seeing my running friends at weekly runs, training programs, and races.

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I just wish I knew of more people that enjoyed running and doing triathlons as much as I did so that I had a workout buddy, etc., but yes, that is one of the positives to doing races & stuff. You meet new people and become friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that, too. I have to drive 40 minutes to go to my running club which really wears on me. I wish there was a club on my side of town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand about the medals. I have done a few 5k's in my past, but all I have to show for it are bibs and T-shirts. But then on Jan 1st of this year I did another 5k and they gave medals to all the finishers. My first medal. It will be my most cherished medal because that race was so emotionally significant to me! I have another 6 races lined up in the next 7 weeks. 4 have finishers medals. I know they are 5k races, but we all start somewhere and I am still proud of myself just the same! Gonna start a wall of medals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan-I totally agree. I did my first (and only tri) last summer. It was a sprint tri. In the middle of it, I thought to myself, "I hope I get a medal for this because it is miserably hard!" As I thought some more, I was certain that there wouldn't be a medal since the sprint tri is like a 5K in running. Luckily, they did have a medal!
    Plus, what may seem easy to one person is like climbing a mountain to others.
    On another note, the Monumental Marathon in Indy also has a 5K and they give a medal if you want to travel in early November. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Andrea! It's funny, I am traveling to a few races this year. I am going to the Iron Girl down in Clearwater in April. I decided to vacation and race! Then I want to do the RnR Vegas 1/2 in December with a friend of mine. I can certainly put Indy on the list. I would like to go places I haven't been and Indy would fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vegas is GREAT! Well, all of the RnR races are great! The Vegas 1/2 is down and back on the strip so it's a lot of fun. (I did the full and the scene wasn't nearly as exciting. I was so sad when I turned off...and it took everything I had to not just "miss the turn" and do the half!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the RnR's look so tempting. I will be doing the Providence 1/2 I think. It may just be the first 1/2 I ever do. I love Vegas, so going out there would be a no brainer for me.

    I did a 3 miler yesterday that is part of a 3 race series. You have to check out the medal. It's 4" x 4" and very unique. To complete the medal, you have to complete a 4 miler and then a 5 miler. Check it out: http://www.runthewildrover.com/ I am stoked and not embarrassed to admit it!

    ReplyDelete