Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowed In

One good thing about this snowstorm: I found my mom's treadmill and used my Yaktrax for the first time. I'm in love with both. I think the snow storm brought back my desire to run as well as the belief that I can get faster.

I've never, ever had a problem with my treadmill. In fact, I thought I liked it. But, then, I discovered my mom's treadmill. On my treadmill, I run 1:30 slower than outside. I always thought it was a treadmill thing. Nope. Just a my treadmill thing. On my mom's ProForm ZT5 treadmill, everything was different. I not only ran my 10:30 training pace, but I was able to keep that pace throughout an entire run which I haven't been able to do outside. In fact, I was even able to go a 10:00 pace towards the end and then even under 9:00 for a few tenths of a mile at the very end of the run. If I had my very own ProForm ZT5, I think I could really work on my speed. Have I mentioned how much I love that treadmill? Funny thing is, it is just a middle of the road treadmill; it's not a high end one, but I truly looked forward to running on it this morning after my first encounter with it yesterday. My running addiction might quickly come back if I could run on that treadmill everyday! My knees and feet felt like I was running on cotton. Ahhhh! And, of course, the speed. Did I mention that I could actually keep a pace on this amazing treadmill? Over are the days of referring to a treadmill as a dreamill!


My second new love discovery: Yaktrax. I was pre-warned how great they were, but really, I had no idea HOW truly amazing they are. Love them! I picked the worst icestorm in 20 years to try them out in and they proved to be a success. So, I only ran to the mailbox, but I could run on pure ice. PURE ICE. Beyond amazing. And, then, when a dog broke loose from his owner's house (that's another story), I was able to throw on the Yaktrax, go outside,catch the dog, walk door to door, and track down the owner without any problem. No way would I have been able to do that without the Yaktrax. So, the way I see it my Yaktrax saved a dog's life. :)

Overall, the snowstorm may not be good for the city, but it has helped me rediscover my love of running...and treadmills...and Yaktrax!

1 comment:

  1. I have a pair of ice bug running shoes, sort of like studded tires in a running shoe. They are great for these times, and they keep a lot of snow out of your foot. I see the Yaktrax prints on the Monon all the time, I may have to get some.

    ReplyDelete