Saturday, March 12, 2011

Run Because You Can


"Run because you can." I had a mini-marathon training instructor that once said that. At the time, it seemed good in theory, but maybe a bit dramatic. However, after last Sunday, I truly understand it.

Last Sunday was my first official day of hills. I went to Eagle Creek Park for my run. It's not close to my house, but I have been determined to get faster so I chose a training program this year that required hills. Driving through the park, it was such a beautiful view-a much needed change from my normal flat, straight runs. Deer grazed everywhere not afraid of cars or runners. It was simply amazing!

Then, it happened. A little under three miles into the run, I suddenly fell to the ground and couldn't get up. My ankle rolled one way and then the next. I had sprained my ankle. My knee and hands were scraped up and my finger wouldn't bend! Just when I thought running was starting to come back to me. I had run a 10K the weekend before in a fairly good time, I was getting up in mileage, and everything just seemed to be coming together. Then, CRASH. That all changed.

The next day my ankle popped twice throughout the day. The first time I stopped limping and the second time it stopped hurting. Who cares if it was still swollen?! I certainly knew how to overlook that. I was given a heavy warning that I should take a week off, but I was determined that one day off would be just fine. Then, I went to the chiropractor and she said I had to rest a few more days. Good thing I like her because otherwise I wouldn't have listened!

Throughout the week, waiting to run was the worst. I looked back at my facebook page where I had complained the previous week about having to run in the rain. What I would do to run in the rain now! Feeling like I was losing all my fitness, I unhappily followed instructions and stayed off my foot until today.

Today's run was different than most. I was so appreciative to be running!  Sure, there was pain half way in, but I was running! Wearing ankle braces, I had to stop three times to adjust the braces, but it didn't bother me because I was out there on the road.

The relationship I have with running is an amazing and interesting one. Many days I don't want to get out there and put the miles in, but the minute it is gone, I miss it more than anything. Just maybe my ankle was trying to remind me to run because I can run and not because I have to run.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!! You & I are SO on the same page. I have a possible stress fracture in my leg, so I can't run until I talk to the doctor on Monday. I have taken for granted that I am able to run because it is killing me right now that I can't get out and go for even just a simple 3 mile run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. When the miles start to hurt, I just think of my quad friend. She'd probably like to feel some "normal" pain instead of messed-up-nerve pain. Makes it pretty easy to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Andrea! I am glad you are gonna be okay. I have been fighting through some serious left shin pain for weeks. I don't want to give up running for any amount of time, but I know I need to give it a rest. It's so hard.

    Gonna try biking this week. But it won't be the same!

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ara and Jan-How are your injuries?

    ReplyDelete