Saturday, March 19, 2011

Twitter Ruined My Dream!

That's right. You heard it here first. Twitter ruined my dream, my running dream that is. After the ankle sprain, I took about a week off running. I ran three miles last weekend and then prepared for the training program run on Tuesday. The program had seven miles scheduled. Even though I thought it was probably too many miles, I figured I would try it anyways since I had people to run with me. However, I wasn't thrilled about it. It was raining and I was looking for an excuse to go home and run fewer miles at a slower pace on any surface other than crushed limestone that wasn't stable in all areas.

Then, it happened. My spirits were up and I was ready to run! After checking my email, I saw that Bart Yasso had requested to follow me on Twitter. That's right. THE Bart Yasso wanted to follow me! I was elated! No more worries about the surface I was about to run on because I knew I could conquer anything. Seems silly I know but that follow request kept my spirits up and got me through that run even when my ankle was throbbing at 5 miles.

After the run, I couldn't wait to get home and accept the request. I had tried to accept it on my phone, but it didn't work. Once home, I quickly ran up my steps to my computer, logged on to Twitter, and then it happened. The request had disappeared. I knew I shouldn't have attempted to open the link on the email! I had lost requests in the past by opening them on my phone. I knew better, but I couldn't wait! My dream was over.

I know, I know. A running guru following me on Twitter SHOULDN'T make or break my running dream, but it did! It ranks right up there with Louisville losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament. (I refuse to call the play-in games the first round. Tradition rules.) And, if you know me, that's serious disappointment. 

It's been four days. I was able to run 10 miles today so I guess I'm going to be okay, but.....let's just say I'm still bummed!

2 comments: