Thursday, March 31, 2011

From Running to Volunteering

Running has brought me a lot in my life: fitness, friends, and fun. Another thing it has brought me is a love of volunteering in the running community. Being a part of something that has brought me so much joy and happiness is a really special feeling.

When I first began running, I remember how nervous I was at packet pick-up and how I really didn't know what to do. Then, there were the nerves about finding the shuttle and starting lines. During my first marathon, no one meant more to me than the water stop worker at mile 20, who seeing the pain on my face, told me to keep going because I had already come so far. Being told congratulations at the finish line when no one has ever cheered me on at a race is also very meaningful.

Because of all that, I jumped at the opportunity to take on a bigger leadership role at the inaugural Carmel Marathon. Rather than just working a four hour shift, I am in charge of all the packet pick-up volunteers. It has been so exciting watching the creators of the event pull everything together. I am honored to have just a tiny roll in the event.

Going to the expo is one of my favorite parts about racing. Working it is even better because I'll get to experience those emotions over and over again with the participants.  Even though I am currently training for my last marathon, I know that running will always be a part of my life in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment