Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hard Core or Maybe Just Foolish

The temperature when I woke up this morning was 4 degrees. Therefore, I decided to sleep in an hour. What a great decision because by the time I ran, the temperature was a balmy 7 degrees and the wind chill was a warm 2 degrees. On top of the weather, the Monon was a sheet of ice covered with a layer of treaded snow. I only saw about 25 hard core runners out there today. Did I mention that I'm actually glad that I ran outside? Maybe that is where the foolish part comes in because I have never been colder in my entire life. Seriously, never.

Today I ran 5 miles. I'm glad I went farther, but I stopped soooo many times. I really don't know if it was the snow and ice that caused me to stop or if it was just the fact that I am still out of shape. I'm hoping it was just the snow. I didn't want to run on the treadmill because I knew I would stop a lot, and then I went outside and still did the same thing! That's okay, though. There is something about running in really bad weather that motivates me. Those are the times that I truly feel like a runner. Hardly seeing anyone on the trail inspired me and made me feel like I genuinely am a runner. Okay, so I felt that way at the beginning of the run and now 5 hours later, but at mile 3.5, I wasn't feeling so excited. Instead, I was feeling really ridiculous for going out into the cold. My under armour cold gear shirt and zip up jacket are amazing. My Nike gloves are equally wonderful. But, the Under Armour cold gear pants just didn't cut it. My legs have never hurt so much.

So, what does a person who ran 5 miles in 2 degree wind chill look like after a run when she still can't feel her legs? 


Not pretty, but smiling because hopefully, I will soon feel my legs again!


Lesson I learned today: I need to find a new pair of winter running pants!

3 comments:

  1. Where's your cape? Because you need it for being a super hero. There is no way I would have considered running outside this morning. Besides too many ice patches, it was friggin' -4 outside.

    This winter is major sucking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. There is no way I would have done that. I have lots of runner friends and many considered running outside yesterday but hit the gym instead. Today is a balmy 14 so they ran outside. I'm going to the gym to run my 2 miles. I'm a baby and not afraid to say it.

    I agree with Jan this winter sucks big time. Come on spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled upon your site when checking to see if they've posted the Derby Marathon course yet on FB. They haven't. Good luck with your training, April 30th will be my first and likely only full. :)

    ReplyDelete