Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Success!

Today was the first day of my mini-marathon training program. Knowing that my official marathon training doesn't start until the end of February, I haven't thought much about the mini training. My focus has been on Grandma's Marathon. The Derby half and the Mini half fall into that program so I knew I would be ready for those races when the time came. What I wasn't ready for, however, was the first day of Mini training.

Today's mileage: 3. I tried to talk myself into believing that 3 miles wouldn't be hard. But, then, I remembered my 5 miles on Saturday when I stopped during the run to walk...and stopped again....and again....and again. I think you get the point. I thought back a little further. Yep, every recent run had the same trend-me stopping to walk! Two miles had been the longest I had made it since Christmas. Three miles may not seem that much longer than two miles, but mentally it definitely is!

When I arrived at the training program, a friend that is new to my running club, spotted me. We were both in the same pace group. That was a welcome change for me. I always seem to be the girl that no one goes the same speed as and therefore, I end up running alone. Tonight was different, though. Even as we reached the halfway mark where the 10:30 pace group, or "10:30ish" pace group as it was coined tonight, was beginning to spread out, I still had someone to run with. I wanted to stop. Oh, did I want to stop. But, because I had one person there with me running, I didn't stop. Success!

Sure, I had other people in the pace group, too, but I didn't know them personally. It was the personal connection that kept me running. It made me recall back to the second mini I did. I did great in that race and I know it was because there were four of us that year that kept each other on track. That personal connection is what made me a great runner (for me) that year. I think I have found that again. I am actually looking forward to next Tuesday's group run.

3 comments:

  1. Great job! I was happy when I saw you doing really well when we passed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To finish a marathon the mental strength to keep going must be able to overpower the body's desire to stop. Training is not just for the body but the mind as well. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through the Grandma's FB page. I'm running the marathon this summer as well. It will be my second time. I completely agree with you that running with someone makes it go so much faster! I hope that you're able to meet up again with the group next week. It made the biggest difference in my training. I've done many 1/2 marathons and trained alone but once those 18, 20, 22 mile runs come along I need someone to talk to! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete