Saturday, January 15, 2011

Small Victories

The last three workouts had some small victories. Small victories that only I could notice! On Thursday, I ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill-a whole .5 miles more than normal!! And I sped up at the end. I know that seems so simple for most people, but ever since I trained for my first marathon, I lost varying speeds. I truly have one speed and I can't make myself go any faster no matter how much I want to. So, for me, that was a victory even though I am still running incredibly slow compared to most people.

Thanks to being sick and also thanks to a busy schedule prior to my winter break, I haven't lifted weights for over a month, maybe even close to two months. I finally got back to my weights class yesterday. Yes, I take one of those girly weight classes; I don't do the real thing! My gym is so intimidating with all those boys-who probably do steroids-and the trainers there make fun of people while they are working out! How do I know this? Because I used to use the personal trainers and I witnessed it. So, for me who was already intimidated by lifting small weights in the middle of the big gym, I decided right then and there when I heard the trainers talking about the patrons that I would never work out there alone again. I wish there were better gym choices in Indy. LA Fitness is the best option on most sides of town, but it doesn't compare to wonderful LAC in Louisville, KY. I've been out of that city for 4 years and I STILL miss that wonderful gym!

Back to my class. I survived it! It was a long hour, though. And, I realized how seriously out of shape I am. My abs used to be my strongest body part...not anymore. That is a certainty. What I liked about this class/teacher is that she worked a lot on hip flexors which is what causes me a lot of problems on my runs. I definitely need to make sure to be in this class every Friday. I usually take it on Wednesday with another instructor. It is my goal to go to at least 2 of these classes every week, if not 3 classes. I really think the different instructors will help me with my runs because the instructors do very different workouts. Of course, when I woke up this morning, I don't know that I still thought taking this class was such a great idea. Can you say SORE?

So my two mile runs (and that one long 2.5 mile run!!) turned into a 4 mile run today. I went to my running club run which is 40 minutes from my house so there was no way I was only going to go 2. I had to run at least as long as I drove. The first two were good. I didn't stop once. The way back was not as easy. I did have to stop and my emotions were all over the place. On one hand, I know I haven't been running and I should be happy that I went that far even if I did walk, but on the other hand, I know I have to be ready to start my official running programs soon. And  the way I'm running is not going to cut it. Mentally, I am focused on training for Grandma's Marathon. However, I have two half marathons coming up, too. I know eventually my marathon training will have me doing many more miles than the halves so I haven't worried about it. Only problem is the half marathon training starts next week and I'm not ready!

So, what did I learn today? I have to start running outside. I'm still not at the speed I'd like to be, but I cut at least a minute off my pace by not running on the treadmill. We'll see if the weather next week will help me out by not continuing to snow so that I can get outside.

1 comment:

  1. You need a better gym! What a negative attitude there! I go to Lifestyle Family Fitness and there is NO attitude there. Hang in there with the training. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete