Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Confusing Run

Analyzing this weekend's run left me feeling like I felt after watching Inception: confused. I've thought about how I felt about my run for a day and a half now and I still don't know what to think. The one and only certain thing about Saturday's run is that it was incredibly icy. In fact, it was down right dangerous. I made it through that part, though.

After my three mile run on Tuesday when I didn't stop, I felt like I took a giant step backwards on Saturday. During the first three miles, I stopped four times (including the half way point where I always mentally allow myself to stop since there is usually a water stop there). The first mile and a half was the worst part. There were places where I couldn't even find a patch of concrete through all the ice. I kept thinking back and wondered how Tuesday's run was so easy for me.

At mile four things got better. I started to think that the first few miles were just due to the ice. Mile four didn't have as much ice so that had to have been it. Then I remembered back to the last time I trained for a full marathon. When I was running long miles, I never enjoyed the first three miles of a run. It always seemed to take my body a full three miles to realize it had to run. After three the body would stop fighting and just run. Maybe, just maybe my body was remembering that feeling and I was actually getting in a routine.

Mile five was just like four. I felt like my pace picked up and the running seemed to be getting easier. After all the time I had lost from stopping and from running on the early ice, I thought I had a chance to lower my overall pace which was a good feeling with all the slow running I have been doing. By mile five, I was certain that my body just needed to run more than three miles before I would start feeling good.

Mile six came. I stopped just to be nice to my body...not because I had to this time. Then, I tried to start again and it was like I was running in mud. I could barely move my legs that had been improving the last two miles. Had I known that, I never would have stopped. I noticed the ice was back. Maybe it was just the ice. I trudged through the last mile stopping for a couple quick breaks. That was discouraging.

Upon getting back to the wooden deck, I knew that I would see some improvement in my times at miles four and five once I checked my Garmin. I knew I had gotten faster. Those miles just felt easier. I knew I was going to be able to find a positive amongst the ice, snow, and cold. I checked my watch. Mile one was the fastest. What? The hardest mile with the most ice was the fastest??? How could that be? Maybe I should have been happy, but it made me feel like I didn't know what I was doing out there or why I was out there.

From there, I went to the Bluemile shoe store and (finally) purchased the Yaktrax. Might have been better to do that prior to running in the ice, but at least I finally did it. And, at least I won't have a problem with the ice and snow again if the Yaktrax work as well as I've been told they do.

Feeling a little better thanks to my new purchase, I headed over to Einstein's Bagels where a few of the other runners were gathering. Good conversation, relaxing, and a really great sandwich (oh, how I love, love, love Einstein's Bagels!) made me feel good about running again. As much as I want to get better at running, sometimes I forget what all I've gained from it. Great friends are great conversation are sometimes more important than the time on the clock at the end of an icy run.

No comments:

Post a Comment