Friday, April 1, 2011

Inspiration Gone!

Spraining my ankle was the worst thing that could have ever happened to me. It was just bad timing. Spring break soon after didn't help, either. I have a half marathon this weekend and no desire to run it. I didn't even make it three miles today, nothing yesterday, and a slow six on Tuesday. That's all I've done since the day I left for spring break. I don't even think I'm out of shape. Instead, I think I just don't want to do it! However, I have three half marathons and one full marathon coming up in the next 10 weeks or so. Where did my inspiration go?

While running (if that's what you want to call it) this week, all I could think about is how I would rather be at a class at the gym: Cardio Kickbox, Body Works, Spinning. However, this brings a lot of turmoil to my heart. In reality, it really shouldn't matter what type of cardio fitness I choose as long as I'm working out.

 I've known for a long time that I'm really burned out from running, yet I can't move on.  Runner. That's my identity. It's who I am. No, it's what I am. Before I began running, all I wanted to do was run a 5K. Now, however, that's seems like an inferior task, though I think I would enjoy it a lot more. Not to mention, I would be in a lot less pain. Don't get me wrong. I know I'll run another half again in my life, but I'm really missing choice in my exercise. While training for a marathon, I must do what the schedule says to make it. Call me a rebel, but I'd rather wake up and decide if I'm in the mood to run, spin, or swim. Instead, I feel stuck.

When I signed up for my last marathon, I wanted to lower my time. At this point, I don't even care! I could walk, get my medal and be just fine!! However, I know when race day arrives I won't feel the same way. I'm not sure how to get my inspiration back up during training, but I better figure it out soon.

1 comment:

  1. Running in races does not mean that you have to be a "runner", meaning you don't have to commit all your exercise time to running. I think I may have previously mentioned core strength or cross training. Well, you should check out the crossfit endurance website. http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

    There are people who follow the crossfit endurance training regimen and complete 100 mile ultras and yet their longest training runs are less than 15 miles. I'm not suggesting you can have your cake and eat it too, or that it will be easy, but you can substitute training runs with other exercise in your training schedule.

    ReplyDelete