Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blame It On the Spray Tan...or the Rain

Yesterday was my normal Tuesday group run. I had every intention of showing up for the run. After work, however, I decided to go for my very first spray tan prior to the run. Turns out that you can't sweat for six hours after a spray tan! Run ruined. (But, wow, my spray tan looks great and I just may have a new addiction!)
I didn't feel too bad about myself because I hadn't slept well the night before and I had a ton of errands to finish. I ran my errands and fell asleep by 8:30. The 8:30 part wasn't actually planned, but it was well-needed. And, most of all, I knew I could make up the run on Wednesday.

Wednesday. That's today. I tried to run today. Gloomy skies lurked so I knew I had to get my run in quickly. As soon as I got home from work, I threw on my running gear and headed out. I raced the storm to get my five miles in. The storm won. Just before two miles, it began to sprinkle. No big deal. The sprinkle then turned into an out and out downpour. Still having a cough from the last time I ran in rain almost three weeks ago, I headed for home. The rain got even worse. By the time I got back to my neighborhood, there were puddles all across the road. Puddles that couldn't be avoided! Puddles so big that I'm hoping my shoes are dry tomorrow. In fact, the puddles were so big that I'm hoping my shoes are dry by Friday!

So, what does any good runner do when the week's mileage isn't completed? Rationalize. I do have a race this weekend. Therefore, I should be tapering. Never mind that this isn't actually the race I'm training for; tapering sounds good. I have a massage tomorrow. That's important. I always run better after a massage. In fact, all of my PR's have come after a good massage. Never mind that I haven't had a PR in over a year even though I still get massages. Friday will be my travel day to the Derby 1/2 Marathon. Never mind that I technically have a little time to run before getting in the car Friday afternoon. A slightly less than 3 mile run is perfect before a 1/2 marathon. Never mind that I'm actually running 18 Saturday.

 Bring it on Louisville. I'm ready for your 13.1 miles!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your race this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm so excited for this one because I used to live in Louisville. It will be really neat to see so many familiar places on foot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How far did you run after your spray tan?? How many days afterwards? I am running a half marathon and going to prom in the same day and worried about my spray tan. I hate tanning beds so I am kind of depending on my spray tan!

    ReplyDelete