Thursday, April 28, 2011

Derby Time

Tomorrow afternoon I will leave for Louisville. All races are special in their own way, but I believe this weekend's race holds the most sacred place in my heart. For twelve years, I lived in Louisville, KY. I love Louisville and everything about it. My dog is even named Derby after the Kentucky Derby. I refer to him as my little piece of home. Visiting Louisville is always special.

This visit is not just any visit, however. This is for a race. Louisville is the place where running all began for me. During my last year in the 'Ville, a co-worker and I talked about running our first 5K. It seemed like such a difficult task. I couldn't run a 1/2 mile at that point! I laugh when I look back about how little I knew about running. I remember a third co-worker giving us both advice on how to start running: run for time, not miles. That was the first piece of running advice I ever received. It's amazing when I think how knowledgeable I am now!

Finally, my friend, Schlonda,  and I decided to actually sign up for a race in May. It was the Run for the "L" of It race and we decided we were actually going to train. Oh, how little I knew! I remember trying to run two miles one HOT weekend day. I stopped early on into the run. I was so faint and out of shape. I wondered what I had gotten myself into....there was no way I could run a whole THREE miles! Little did I know that it's not the best idea to run in the dead of the heat. At that point, all I really wanted, more than anything in the world, was for Schlonda to decide that she didn't want to run this silly race!

Race day eventually came. I was thrilled that I wasn't there alone. I didn't even know how to pick up my bib-or, how to put it on, for that matter! I giggled with nerves as we waited for the start. I remember not knowing where to start or how to know which way the race was going. Looking back, I laugh over and over about all the things I didn't know about running!

Finally, we started. Let's remember that I hadn't ever made it three miles outside. One time about a month or two prior, I made it three miles once on the treadmill using the Couch Potato to 5K program. (For the record, I wasn't a couch potato. I went to the gym three to four times a week-just not to run.) Having someone to run with was the best thing ever. I wanted to stop so badly and so did my friend, but neither of us wanted to be the one to make the other person stop! We finally did stop once, but not for long. A nice downhill came soon after we started to walk and that was our key to get back running. I even sprinted at the end, just like I still do. I guess some things never change. Finishing strong is definitely my strength!

The two of us looked at our time after we finished. 31:08. Half training...stopping once to walk. At that point, we both realized that if we tried, we might just be good at this running thing. We both left that day thinking that we would continue our running endeavors.

I moved and started a new job so I didn't run a step for over six months. My friend might have run some after that, but not much. However, this is her year. She, also, is running the Derby 1/2 Marathon. As I'm winding down my running "career", it's coming to end where it started and with the same people. So, when I say the Derby 1/2 Marathon has a special place in my heart, I really mean it.

1 comment:

  1. HAVE A BLAST! Sounds like you're gonna really enjoy this one ;-)

    ReplyDelete