Saturday, April 23, 2011

Serious Part II

Last weekend, I went 14 miles even though I wasn't feeling well. It took 3 hours and a million and one stops. Okay, maybe not quite that many stops, but there were definitely a lot of breaks. The following Tuesday I only ran 5 and still needed to stop a lot of times. Today, on the other hand, was a mental win. I went 14 again and didn't need to stop (except for my normal water and Gu stops). It got me to thinking.

I really think I am a half marathon runner. Being able to look at my watch and know for a fact what the slowest I will possibly run is good for me, mentally. It makes me feel like I can do it; It makes me feel like I can go faster even with my poor training. I also feel like once I get up to around 13 miles I can keep up my training and endurance. The problem is that I am always training for a full and then want a break afterwards!

After I finish my last marathon, I really think I want to focus on the half. I believe that I could actually get my time down if I would just focus on the shorter distance. My problem is that I hear others talking about marathons and it makes me want to sign up. However, once I'm in the training, I don't actually enjoy running the full marathon distance. What I need is 100 people to remind me NOT to sign up for another full until I reach my half marathon goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment